JohnZak’s Surgery

Second (Six Week) Checkup ~ New plans for second surgery

Last Thursday I went to Lutheran to see Dr. Scavo for my six week checkup. I really can’t believe it has been six weeks since my first surgery. I guess when you don’t do anything except lye around the house, times goes by slower then you can ever imagine.  When I went in at 7am, I first got a blood pressure test done for my legs. They attached blood pressure cuffs up and down my legs, and even on my big toe. And half and hour later we were done.  After that test I went to the other part of the hospital and say Dr. Scavo. While with him we got the results and it turns out the pressure in my legs in 100 percent normal. But the pressure in my feet are only 60 percent of what they should be. He didn’t even look at my chest once. After he got the results of my test and some other stuff, and my mom and I talked to him for awhile, he brought up an idea about changing the plans for the next step. He wants to change the date of my next surgery from April to ASAP.  He is hoping that after my descending aorta is fixed, the pain in my feet will go away, but there is no guarantee about it.  The reason he wants to move my surgery up instead of waiting until I am stronger and gain more weight is because there is this operation called a stint. And that operation is not a surgery at all, so they will not have to cut me open, and put me on bypass. This causes it to be a lot less risky.  The only thing we are waiting on to see if I am going to do this operation, is that it would cause me to have to go to Indianapolis to have it done. And the doctor down there is still deciding if he able to do my case, and if he wants to. But anyways, as soon as my appointment with Dr. Scavo was over, he went straight to the phone and called the doctor in indi and called in some favors to get him to even look at my files. So Dr. Scavo faxed over some of my files right away to indi, and used FedEx to ship ALL my files down him.  Now we are just waiting for a phone call any day now on the decision. If it is a yes, then I will be going down to indi. And we should know by the end of this week.  Oh and by the way, a stint is just when they go up the main vain in my leg, up to my aorta, and install a small device that will expand and expand the narrowing in my descending aorta. I’ll post an update as soon as we know something. Please pray that the right decisions are made.

Advertisements

February 11, 2008 - Posted by | Second Surgery

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: