JohnZak’s Surgery

It’s all over with for now

Well the operation went great at Riley. I was in and out of the operation room in around two hours, which is a lot shorter then they were exspecting. I feel a lot better and my feet are feeling better. I am able to walk more normal and I have balance now.

Thats all i’m putting in this post, and it will problably be my last one since no one really looks at it. just a couple people every couple days. so if you want to know more just let me know or call me.


February 28, 2008 Posted by | Second Surgery | Leave a comment

We have a date

Well we finally get the call and set the date for my next operation. I’ll be going to to riley childrens hospital on Feb. 27. They are going to use the bollon thing to exspand my aorta. And then they are going to install the stint. It will be an overnight stay, just in and out. So hopfully everything goes ok.

February 14, 2008 Posted by | Second Surgery | Leave a comment

Second (Six Week) Checkup ~ New plans for second surgery

Last Thursday I went to Lutheran to see Dr. Scavo for my six week checkup. I really can’t believe it has been six weeks since my first surgery. I guess when you don’t do anything except lye around the house, times goes by slower then you can ever imagine.  When I went in at 7am, I first got a blood pressure test done for my legs. They attached blood pressure cuffs up and down my legs, and even on my big toe. And half and hour later we were done.  After that test I went to the other part of the hospital and say Dr. Scavo. While with him we got the results and it turns out the pressure in my legs in 100 percent normal. But the pressure in my feet are only 60 percent of what they should be. He didn’t even look at my chest once. After he got the results of my test and some other stuff, and my mom and I talked to him for awhile, he brought up an idea about changing the plans for the next step. He wants to change the date of my next surgery from April to ASAP.  He is hoping that after my descending aorta is fixed, the pain in my feet will go away, but there is no guarantee about it.  The reason he wants to move my surgery up instead of waiting until I am stronger and gain more weight is because there is this operation called a stint. And that operation is not a surgery at all, so they will not have to cut me open, and put me on bypass. This causes it to be a lot less risky.  The only thing we are waiting on to see if I am going to do this operation, is that it would cause me to have to go to Indianapolis to have it done. And the doctor down there is still deciding if he able to do my case, and if he wants to. But anyways, as soon as my appointment with Dr. Scavo was over, he went straight to the phone and called the doctor in indi and called in some favors to get him to even look at my files. So Dr. Scavo faxed over some of my files right away to indi, and used FedEx to ship ALL my files down him.  Now we are just waiting for a phone call any day now on the decision. If it is a yes, then I will be going down to indi. And we should know by the end of this week.  Oh and by the way, a stint is just when they go up the main vain in my leg, up to my aorta, and install a small device that will expand and expand the narrowing in my descending aorta. I’ll post an update as soon as we know something. Please pray that the right decisions are made.

February 11, 2008 Posted by | Second Surgery | Leave a comment

First checkup~ 2-5-08

So I went to see Dr. Brown, my current cardiologist, today and it went ok I guess. He just checked my stats, and my breathing. You know the cardio stuff. My blood pressure was really low, and I told him how I have been becoming lightheaded sometimes, so Dr. Brown changed up my medication some, and is starting me on a weaker form of Altace for my heart. It won’t lower my pressure as much, which he thinks will be safer, and it might pump more blood to my feet and might help them to heal faster. And the best part of the new medication is that it is only $4. Now both of the meds that I have for my heart are under $10. Which is a good thing because he said I might be on them for awhile.  I am suppose to meet with him again in three months, but it is dependent on when and how my next surgery goes.

February 5, 2008 Posted by | Recoverery | Leave a comment

New meds are working :) ,and three weeks later.

Well Monday I received a new medication called Neurontin, its another med that is suppose to help with the nerve pain, and slow my nerves down, and like the Lyrica that I already have, the Neurontin took around a week to kick in. I can really feel the difference now. At night I do not get the killing, shocking, wanting to die pain like I was having before. All the pain I have in my feet now is tolerable. I am still not receiving more then three house of sleep at night with the Ambien, but I was just able to get an hours nap in this morning. So that is always a good sign. The most pain I feel now is when I walk. There are spots on my feet where it feels like someone took a cheese grater to it when something lightly touches it, or if I have pressure on those spots to long. But all in all they are starting to feel better. And like always I hope they keep getting better and don’t start hurting again like last time. And after three weeks with that much pain, I will be ready for anything. Some people are saying that I will be lost without it, but I know that is not true lol. The only thing that has ever felt worse is the CT scan that they gave me when I went into the ER and the dye that they use went into the tear of my aorta and caused me to try and craw out of the scanner. It’s funny now that I think of it. 

My mom and I also went in and I applied for Medicade so please pray for me that I get approved. The lady that we worked with said it might take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of years for my case. I guess they only like working with people that have a lifetime disability, and since I will be better in around a year, they might not want to help pay for my bills.

And the last thing is that I’m going in to get some blood work done sometime today for my appointment with Dr. Dechner next week. And I also have a couple of other appointments with other Doctors sometime next week also, but I am not sure which ones, I’m still meeting some of them for the first time. 

February 1, 2008 Posted by | Recoverery | Leave a comment